Hello my lovely readers!
Do not fret, this is not a post about another GOT inspired costume. This time is legit LARP medieval fantasy.
So – I´ve signed up for this LARP my friend is doing in beginning of September, which is high fantasy political setting. My non-walking state aside I am so hyped to go!
I´m playing Lady Ellara Durrandon Amber of Crow´s nest, a high-born lady, a widow and a very hardened woman.
And a witch. Daughter of a witch-bitch. So the character came with silverish hair and unnatural blue eyes.
But being a witch or a bitch – the lady needs a proper attire, innit?
And here comes the fun – I actually have tons of fabrics at home, but not enough of one fabric to put together a medieval dress with wide skirt. I have this McCalls B4827 pattern lying around, which is basically a very easy pattern and the outcome might just look fabulous, but it wouldn´t be me to just not fool around a bit.
I had idea of gorgeous green gown in mind, but!
Here comes the but!
Not enough fabric in my stash!
BUT! (yet another but!)
I had two awesome fabrics lying around, doing just nothing.
That is a really gorgeous green taffeta purchased almost a year ago to be a part of the green hunting Victorian dress, but alas it never came to be.
The other one is actually a saree.
In case you are wondering – yes, that is me.
And yes, I´ve cut out all those to-kill-for golden trims and kept them. They come in handy later.
So I have 4 meters of the green taffeta and some five-ish meter of the PES saree (I seriously believe it´s PES satin) – AND I´m in the dire need of some lining for the satin. I mean – I should probably use some also for the taffeta, but that fabric has been washed in the hot water and it´s still sturdy.
So I dive into my stash and ind – TADA – green cotton. Soft as a cloud and still nice and heavy. Can you imagine where this is all going?
TO END IN DISASTER, I tell you!
As expected the saree was very slippery bitch. An while I tried to pin it down to retrace the pattern, it started moving. And not only that, you see. That terrible, horrible thing protested, while I pinned it to the cotton lining.
Oh yes, miss Thing, she did!
The end was disaster. Four-times pinning down the saree fabric and ironing the whole thing didn´t help. Next time remember, gurl, just use coutil and glue that damn thing on!
LESSON TO BE LEARNED…
However this is not a problem to stop me 🙂
I´ve managed to underline the saree parts with more or less bumpy moments. Hand stitched all the parts together – and realized that it is horribly big!
I mean – look at it! This should be my size according to the pattern instructions. But this – again – is the size of a circus tent.
I am 100 % that I´m not a circus tent! Or bunch of clown, acrobats and elephants.
After some more pinning and horrible encounter with sewing machine, all is done and I just think it looks fabulous. I´ve cut the neckline slightly lover than on the original pattern, pinned the facing around the neckline down – at voilá, awesome dress is awesome!
The next step is going to be funnier though. The sleeves!
I´ve drafted a two-piece pattern from one I already had. Did anyone actually told me, that it´s going to be horrible work? No, I was not warned. Therefore I´ve started with the math, drawing and altering the pattern.
And – well – after a lot of profanity – I managed to draft a working pattern! YAY ME!
I´ve decided I really need sleeves with the buttoned up elbow (because it looks amazing and I wanted to try it). Also, while I enjoy rehab with my newly broken leg richer now for two screws, I´ve taken up the old and good needle and started to sew in hand.
All stay-stitched together looks wearable 🙂
I have encountered numerous issues with the neckline and the sleeves in the process. I have added darts to the hem of the neckline, as the fabric really moved in wrong way. The sleeves had to be re-sewn few times to the arm holes and I am still not happy with the outcome, so I might just re-touch the dress later.
I unfortunately ended having a bit of “no time” to make photos of the rest of the progress, because – no time, really.
So without further ado – first photos of the dress, which at the end was fully adorned by the border from the sareee and also somes with a matching satchel.
First batch of photos by absolutely stunning Patrik Cvak, all credit goes to him.
Hopefully more photos to come.
Tell me, what you think 🙂